2105 Marvel Film Rankings - A look back and prediction

Posted by Jeff Labels:

Avengers: Age of Ultron Concept Art courtesy of Marvel Studios
When I did my first ratings, eons ago, it was simply based upon my viewpoint.  The first ratings generated a fairly large amount of discussions in my small group and lead to looking at three criteria for my second annual review.  With each passing year I added more criteria and used more sources to create averages for audience and critic.   This year I used 22 different criteria and I thought I had nailed down exactly what I wanted to do; next years will have 33 so I let you guess how nailed down this years was.
 

More criteria does not ultimately change many movies placement, rather in most cases it solidifies
their position.  This year 18 movies changed positions; 15 of the 18 changed one or two positions up or down, and only 3 movies made larger jumps.
The biggest mover this year was 1998's Blade starring Wesley Snipes helped by the more detailed look at the financials moved up 5 spots.   The Wolverine  dropped 4 spots, which is kind of a head scratcher as it merely the number of critic ratings increased and its position there dropped.
 
I am not shocked that X-Men continues to hold the top spot, its low budget and fairly decent box office give it solid financial numbers, it did will with critics, audience and myself.  
 
It is however a battle between the X-Men and The Avengers, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is financially a better box office draw, but audience (including passion) and critics have preferred the X-Men universe.   Even looking at the statistics on my little blog hold that to be true, my posts about the X-Men generally have twice the number of hits and twice the number of +1 on google. 
 
As much as I am still amazed by another statistic I shouldn't be shocked, my writings on the so called bombs (i.e. X-Men: Last Stand, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Fantastic Four (2005)) also drive my hits on the blog.   It may be I track like minded people together or simple my viewers are matched in the broader sense by a fairly large audience.   Well many people still take Brett Ratner's name in vain audiences do not appear to hate the movie he directed, X-Men: Last Stand, in the way many people believe.
 
Next Year's ratings will have four new movies added Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four (2015) and Deadpool before the release of Captain America: Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse in may 2016.   I have my suspicions on where those four movies will end up on the list but the placement of three of the four is pure speculation at this point.

0 comments:

Post a Comment