Rating the Marvel Universe - The Bottom Quarter

Posted by Jeff Labels:

We have reached the quarter pole of my ratings of the Marvel Universe on film.   From 33 to 26 my list is:

33 - Elektra
32 - Punisher: War Zone
31 - Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
30 - Daredevil
29 - Blade Trinity
28 - Ghost Rider
27 - Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
26 - Hulk

There are a couple of disagreements between my ratings and the fans, usually slight in nature however Ang Lee's 2003 Hulk is one the fans and I disagree on most from this list.  There may be some small arguments about a movie or two not in this group or not in this group, but we are talking semantics and tenths of points on the list.

When I did my first review of the data I was surprised at how neatly all of the movies fell into a bell curve, the bottom four on my list were clearly the bottom four and virtually everyone agreed, except for the fans ratings of the Hulk.  The next group of 9 films are also clustered together and a change of a point or two in any category would totally rearrange the slotting of the films in the ratings. 

The other differences are: I have the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer at 27, the average audience placement is the Fantastic Four at 27.   The average audience and I also swap places for Ghost Rider and Daredevil in slots 28 and 30.   

Each of these movies is clearly on the list because it didn't work for the audiences and or the critics, usually and.   A common thread amongst six of the films is that "they were just going through the motions" and "how could they not have known these films were not good".

On to the next group starting tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment