2015 Marvel Film Rankings

Posted by Jeff Labels:

Movie Poster Courtesy impawards.com
It is that time of year!

I rank the Marvel Films from all the different studios, excluding Howard the Duck and ManThing because Howard the Duck was just bad and I have never seen ManThing.   Some day I will find a copy of ManThing and watch it, but not today (or tomorrow or next week.)

While I rank the movies based upon my own personal tastes, that's only part of the criteria I look at to create this list.

Financials, Critics, and Audience views are also taken into consideration and have pretty much the same weight as my own ranking. 

For Financials I look at Open Domestic Box Office, Domestic Total, World Wide Box Office, When did the movie break even domestically, how long was it in the theaters, and a couple of other minor details.  
This Total Bean Counter Stuff.  I added a couple of minor tweaks and only a couple of movies shifted positions, but as I am now done posting for this year I think there a couple of tweaks for next year that need to be added.  Again I believe these are all little things that may shift movies a position or two, but when your sibling is an accountant it is important to get the money right.

As for Critics I look at three of the four major critic overview sites and create an average view of the movie based upon a 100 point scale.  I give you the rottentomatoes.com overview of what the critics said.
It seems kind of odd but many movies shifted a point or two on this rating and one movie dropped by almost 20 percent.  Whether it was technical difficulties or incorporation of more reviews I was shocked at how much work I need to put in on this category.

Audience takes into consideration, how long the film was in the theater, the average score of two of three major online sources (the third does not have all the movies scored), I look at how many reviews are available on these major sites, how many comments, and a break down of what people ranked the movie.
In comparison to last year I overhauled this ranking in its entirety.  I am still not totally happy with it as I try and figure out how to measure passion amongst the fan base, or rather how to incorporate that it into a ranking.  

My rankings is based upon how I feel the movie compares to other Marvel Films.   I watched every film again this year in February and March as try and organize my thoughts.   This year my list was almost exactly what I had last year, I moved two movies up and two movies dropped a couple of slots. 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment